The Third Party Billing unit of the Office of the Bursar assists students whose attendance at the University is sponsored by a third party.
Third Parties agree to pay all or some portion of a student’s bill, and may include:
- state and federal agencies
- international embassies
- military agencies
- employers or other organizations
The Office of the Bursar prepares and sends invoices for tuition and other costs as specified by the third party.
Students sponsored by a third-party have certain responsibilities to fulfill in order to have the third-party sponsorship applied to their student account. The student:
- must provide a valid authorization from their sponsor prior to the payment due date
- is responsible for paying any balance not covered by the third-party agency
- is responsible for renewing their authorization when needed
The authorization is a document in which the third-party agency commits to pay designated education expenses for the student.
The authorization must include:
- the student’s name and UNC Charlotte ID number
- the semester or dates being covered – if the authorization is to cover more than one semester, the effective date and expiration date should be included on the authorization; otherwise a new authorization must be submitted each semester
- specific charges covered, i.e., tuition, fees, housing, meal plan, parking permit, books, etc.
- any minimum/maximum amount the sponsor will pay
- the name of the sponsor, contact information and complete mailing address
- a signature and date from an authorized official
- how and where invoices should be submitted, i.e., postal mail, email, fax
The authorization should be submitted to:
Attn: Student Accounts/Third Party Billing
Reese Bldg 2nd Floor
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, North Carolina 28223
NOTE: If for any reason the sponsor does not pay the invoice, the student will be liable for full payment of all charges incurred.
- Upon receipt of a valid authorization, a “defer to third-party payment” flag will be placed on the student’s account to prevent cancellation of the student’s registration in anticipation of the pending third party payment.
- Any charges that the third party sponsor has not agreed to pay, i.e., parking fines, health center charges, etc., must be paid by the student before a “defer to third-party payment” flag can be placed on the student’s account to prevent cancellation of the student’s registration.
Students eligible for Military Tuition Assistance must provide a Tuition Assistance (TA) form. The TA form must include a specific description of charges that will be paid by the military. It must also include:
- Your name and UNC Charlotte identification number
- The semester(s) covered by the document
- The billing address
- The signature and telephone number of the authorizing official
Your tuition assistance payment will be applied after it is received by Third Party Billing staff.