At UNC Charlotte, we know your college education is an important investment. That’s why we partnered with GradGuard to offer Tuition Insurance Protection as another option for our students and their families.
The Tuition Protection Plan provides financial protection beyond the University’s refund policy and can reimburse up to 100% of your nonrefundable school expenses if you completely withdraw from the University for personal reasons such as:
- Covered injury or illness, including illness from COVID-19
- Covered psychological or mental health conditions
- Covered death of a tuition payer
Tuition insurance is completely optional
- The insurance agreement is between you and GradGuard. UNC Charlotte is not a party to the agreement.
Deadline to purchase
- If you choose to purchase tuition insurance for Spring 2021, you must do so by January 27, 2021.
- The cost of coverage is 1.25% multiplied by the amount you wish to insure yourself for. For example, $10,000 in coverage = $125.00.
- GradGuard will walk through a coverage calculator with you to determine recommended coverage amounts.
- You can get an online quote anytime from GradGuard or by calling (877) 794-6603.
- You can choose your coverage limit, and reimbursement can include:
- Tuition payments
- Room and board
- Other academic fees and expenses
- Tuition insurance plans include Student Life Assistance, a 24-hour emergency hotline that helps students stay safe on and off campus–providing you and your family with even more peace of mind.
- For any questions please contact GradGuard at (877) 794-6603.
Terms & Conditions
Why might I need tuition insurance?
Tuition insurance allows you to protect your investment in higher education. Tuition insurance can reimburse you for non-refundable tuition, fees, and room and board costs (up to the amount of your policy limits) should you have to withdraw from school for a covered reason.
Do I have to purchase tuition insurance?
No, you do not have to purchase tuition insurance. Tuition insurance is completely optional.
Why is the University offering the option of tuition insurance?
At UNC Charlotte, we know your college education is an important investment and we want to offer you the option to purchase tuition insurance if you’d like to. Effective for the upcoming fall semester, UNC Charlotte has partnered with GradGuard to offer Tuition Insurance Protection to students and their families.
Does UNC Charlotte make a profit from tuition insurance?
No. UNC Charlotte does not profit from the insurance policies.
What does tuition insurance cover?
Tuition insurance can reimburse you for up to 100% of tuition costs, as well as fees, room, and board if you need to withdraw from school for a covered reason.
How much will the insurance cost?
The cost of coverage is 1.25% multiplied by the amount you wish to insure yourself for. For example, $10,000 in coverage = $125.00 GradGuard will walk through a coverage calculator with you to determine recommended coverage amounts.
Will this insurance cover my school expenses if UNC Charlotte shuts down due to COVID-19?
No. This insurance does not cover adjustments, disruptions or withdrawals due to changes in University operations as a result of COVID-19, such as changes to instruction delivery methods, the availability of housing and dining plans, or other adjustments to campus operations made by UNC Charlotte or directed by the UNC System or public officials. It covers withdrawal from the University for a covered reason, which includes personal illness from COVID-19.
Aren’t I able to receive a refund through the University’s withdrawal process?
Yes. Depending on the date you withdraw from the University, all or a portion of your tuition and fees may be refundable by the University. The tuition insurance can reimburse you for nonrefundable expenses, including any tuition and fees that weren’t refunded by the University, room and board, dining, and up to $1000 of other school expenses such as books and parking.
Does the tuition insurance cover expenses if I withdraw from one of my courses?
No. Tuition insurance only covers you when you withdraw from ALL classes during the term for which you purchased tuition insurance.
Who should I contact with additional questions?
Please contact GradGuard at (877) 794-6603.