Prior to graduation, an undergraduate student may change from one degree program or area of academic concentration to another.
Prior to changing your major and/or minor
- We encourage you to consider the implications on time-to-degree and cost.
- View DegreeWorks to research majors and academic progression.
To declare or change your major or minor
- Be sure you meet the prerequisites for admission to the department. You can view the academic department's requirements on their web page.
- Contact your academic department in person, by email, or by telephone to seek approval, as indicated on the department web page.
- The academic department will review your request, which can take 5-10 business days, depending on volume of requests. (More specific information may be available on the department web page or by contacting the department directly.)
- If you are accepted into the new major, a change of major request form will be sent by the academic department to the Office of the Registrar. Typical processing time, once received in the Office of the Registrar, is 3-5 business days.
To drop a major or minor
If you would like to drop your major or minor, using your uncc email address, send a request to email@example.com identifying:
- Your name
- Your student ID number
- Statement specifying “I want to drop my [insert major/minor name].”
Change of major on admissions application, before enrollment/registration
- If you listed a major on your admission application, but you want to change that major, please send an email requesting the major change to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and date of birth in the email.
- The admissions office will review your major change request and notify you of their decision.