Changing Your Major

Prior to graduation, an undergraduate student may change from one degree program or area of academic concentration to another. 

Prior to changing your major and/or minor

  • We encourage you to consider the implications on time-to-degree and cost.
  • View DegreeWorks to research majors and academic progression.

Current Students

To change your major or minor

  • Meet the prerequisites for admission to the new program. 
  • Get approval from your academic department.
  • The department will send the major change information to the Office of the Registrar.

To drop a major or minor

  • If you would like to drop your major or minor, using your uncc email address, send a request to identifying:
    • Your name
    • Your student ID number
    • Statement specifying “I want to drop my [insert major/minor name].”

New Students

Change of major on admissions application, before enrollment/registration

  • If you listed a major on your admission application, but you want to change that major, please send an email requesting the major change to Include your name and date of birth in the email.
  • The admissions office will review your major change request and notify you of their decision.