This page provides information about registering for classes.
How to Register for Classes
To view the schedule of classes and to register, log in to Banner Self-Service on My UNC Charlotte ...
- Click the Registration, Add/Drop icon under Quick links
- Click Add/Drop/Withdraw Classes
- Make sure the term selected in the drop-down box is correct
- Click Submit
- Type one Course Reference Number (CRN) into each field. If you do not know the CRNs for the classes you wish to take, click Class Search. Refer to Looking Up Classes to learn more about the class search.
- Click Submit Changes. A screen confirming your registration should appear. If any of the classes for which you wanted to register do not appear in the Current Schedule area, scroll down the page to view the error messages, which will tell you why you were not able to register. A list of error messages is below.
View your appointment time through Banner Self-Service by clicking on the "Check Registration Status" link under the heading "Registration" from the Student Services/Student Accounts menu.
- Your registration appointment time is based on the your number of earned hours (EHRS). Those with higher credits earned register the earliest.
- New Fall/Spring Freshmen and Fall/Spring Transfer students register through the SOAR Program - 704-687-0340.
- In-progress courses are being used to compute your class standing (i.e. sophomore, junior) and for course prerequisite checking.
- For help with registration error messages (pre-requisites, closed sections, etc.), please contact the department that sponsors the course.
|Campus Restriction||Section is restricted to students with a specific campus. (Section is for Distance Education students ONLY )||Choose a different section or contact the Office of Distance Education.|
|Class Restriction||Section is restricted to students with a specific classification (Junior, etc.). This classification is based on the student's earned hours.||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Closed Section||Section is full and there are no seats available.||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|CLOSED - % Waitlisted||Section is full and waitlist is an option (% indicates the number of students already on the waitlist)||Add yourself to the waitlist or choose a different section|
|CLOSED - Waitlist Full||Section is full and waitlist seats are also full||Choose a different section|
|College Restriction||Section is restricted to students in a specific college (Liberal Arts & Sciences, Education, etc.)||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Co-Requisite Restriction||Section requires a co-requisite (2 or more courses taken within the same term).||Review detailed section information or University catalog for specific co-requisites. Contact the department of the course.|
|Course is not available for registration at this time.||Section has been canceled by the department.||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Degree Restriction||Section is restricted to students with a specific degree. (M.S.N., B.A., etc.)||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Department Approval||Section requires a registration override from the department.||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Distance Educ Authorization||Section requires a registration override from the Office of Distance Education. (Section is for Distance Education students ONLY )||Choose a different section or contact the Office of Distance Education.|
|Duplicate Course||Attempted to register for two sections of the same course in the same term which is not allowed.||Contact the department of the course for a registration override.|
|Field of Study Restriction – Concentration||Section is restricted to students with a specific concentration. (Graphic Design, Public Relations, etc.)||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Field of Study Restriction – Major||Section is restricted to students with a specific major. (MATH, SPED, etc.)||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Field of Study Restriction – Minor||Section is restricted to students with a specific minor. (WMST, ARTE, etc.)||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Instructor's Approval||Section requires a registration override from the instructor.||Choose a different section or contact the instructor of the course.|
|Level Restriction||Section is restricted to students with a specific level. (Undergraduate, Graduate, etc.)||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Maximum Hours Exceeded||Registration exceeds the maximum number of credit hours permitted in that term.||Contact your advisor or major department.|
|OPEN - Reserved for Waitlist||Section is full and a waitlisted student has been notified of the available seat||Choose a different section|
|Pre-Req and/or Test Score Error||Section requires a pre-requisite or a specific test score.||Review detailed section information or University catalog for specific pre-requisites. Contact the department of the course.|
|Program Restriction||Section is restricted to students with a specific program. (MATH-M.S., MEGR-B.S.M.E., etc.)||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Remaining seats reserved for other majors||Some seats are reserved for certain majors.||Choose a different section.|
|Repeated Course||Credit has already been earned for this course.||Click here for information about whom to contact.|
|Student Attribute Restriction||Section is restricted to students with a specific attribute.||Choose a different section or contact the department of the course.|
|Time Conflict with XXXXX||Section is conflicting with another section on student's class schedule.||Review the meeting days and times for both sections. Contact the department of the course.
Schedule your advising appointment through Connect in My UNC Charlotte.
- All degree-seeking students are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor in the selection of courses and progress toward degree completion.
Students in certain degree programs may be required to consult with an advisor before they will be allowed to register. This status can be found under Registration Status in Banner Self-Service.
- Students who have declared a degree program should consult with an advisor in the department responsible for that program.
- Undeclared undergraduate students should seek academic advising from the University Advising Center located in 2200 Colvard Bldg., (704-687-7717). Please follow the directions you will receive in the email sent from your advisor.
- ALL freshmen students are REQUIRED to meet with an advisor and may not register before doing so.
Students may be blocked from registration by holds that may be placed for various reasons - including:
- College or departmental advising requirements
- Invalid admissions status
- Outstanding financial obligations
- Non returned equipment or library materials
- Suspension and disciplinary action
- Non-compliance with NC Immunization Law
- Missing College Transcripts
UNC Charlotte makes every effort to notify students of the presence of holds. Any holds that a student currently has may be viewed in Banner Self-Service. This information will be displayed within the "Student/Student Accounts" tab under the "View Holds" menu item.
|Override||Use of Override|
|AUTH||Overrides all registration restrictions except closed section or level restriction (AUTH is strongly suggested in order to prevent over enrollment).|
|PERMIT||Overrides all registration restrictions except time conflicts or level restriction.|
|DUP||Only overrides duplicate sections (topics courses).|
|TIME||Only overrides time conflicts.|
|CO-REQS||Only overrides co-requisites.|
|REPEAT||Only overrides repeated courses.|
Students are academically and financially responsible for the classes in which they enroll. They are released from this obligation only by the formal termination of their enrollment as described below.
Students who drop all classes for which they are enrolled prior to the first day of classes are credited with a 100% refund of tuition and there will be no record of the semester on the student's permanent record.
- You must be registered in the designated course prior to submitting the form.
- Undergraduate students are permitted to take one course each academic year with a PASS/NO CREDIT grade type.
- You may not elect PASS/NO CREDIT grading in more than four courses or in courses taken to satisfy your major program or University degree requirements.
- You do not earn academic credit for courses taken with an AUDIT grade type; however, standard course fees are assessed.
These requests may be processed at Niner Central or the Office of Adult Students and Evening Services (OASES).
- Each course/section has a specified enrollment limit. When enrollment in a course section reaches the limit, it is considered "closed" and no further enrollments will be processed.
- Students wishing to enroll in a specific course/section which has closed may contact the academic department sponsoring the course to request that the department enter an electronic override in a closed or restricted section. The decision to enter the course is strictly that of the sponsoring department.
- These overrides are displayed in the Registration Status link under the heading of Overrides and Authorizations. The student must then complete the enrollment process by using the Web System and enrolling in the class.
Policy on Continuous Registration
- Students in graduate degree programs are required to maintain continuous registration (Fall and Spring semesters) for thesis, dissertation, project, or directed study until work is completed.
- Students are not required to enroll in any Summer term unless they are using University resources or they are completing degree requirements in that term.
- Students using University resources should enroll in the number of graduate credit hours that best reflects the amount of resources being used (typically three (3) or more graduate credit hours).
- The continuous registration requirement begins with the semester in which the student first registers for his/her thesis, dissertation, project, or directed study.
Note: Students must be enrolled during the term (semester or summer) in which they graduate from the University.
- Current students who are not enrolled and are not using University resources may apply for a leave of absence.
- Students choosing this option must file a Graduate Academic Petition for a leave of absence that states they will not use University resources during the leave period.
- If the leave of absence extends beyond one calendar year, the student’s matriculation is closed and the student must re-apply for active status in the graduate program.
- International students on F-1 visa/status must remain continuously enrolled until the thesis, dissertation, project or directed study is completed.
- Those international students who wish to apply for a leave of absence are advised to consult with the International Student/Scholar Office prior to filing the Graduate Academic Petition for leave of absence.
- Students experiencing a medical emergency or other crisis should contact the Dean of Students Office.
- Students with questions about the leave of absence option can contact The Graduate School.