To receive a direct loan award before classes begin, submit the summer loan application by May 1, 2019. The deadline to submit your Summer Direct Loan Application is June 15, 2019.
Applying for Summer Loans
- To be eligible for summer direct loan funds, you must complete a summer loan application
- Apply by logging in to My UNC Charlotte > Banner Self Service > Financial Aid tab
- You must have registered for all your classes before you submit the summer school loan application.
- Only one application is required if you are requesting aid for both summer terms.
- Students who had previously submitted a 2018-2019 FAFSA are eligible to apply for summer loans.
- You only need to submit a summer aid application if you are applying for loans.
- Register for a total of at least 6 credit hours if you are an undergraduate student, and at least 5 graduate credit hours if you are a graduate student.
- Hours for Summer I and II must total at least 6 credit hours (undergrads) or 5 credit hours (grads).
- The amount of loan funds you are eligible to receive is based on:
- your current grade level (freshman, sophomore, etc)
- how much you borrowed through the 2018-2019 year
- how much you borrowed cumulatively throughout your entire time in college.
- The Niner Central staff can help you determine whether or not you will have funding available.
Federal Pell Grant
- Additional Pell grant funding may be available for eligible students, even if you received 100% of your Pell grant for Fall/Spring.
- Pell Grants are available to full- and part-time students enrolled in at least six credit hours for one or both summer terms
- Review this page for details >>
Federal Direct Loans
- If you borrowed the maximum Federal Direct loan amount based on your grade level for 2018-2019, you will not have remaining eligibility for summer.
- If you did not take classes or had previously declined Federal Direct loan funding in either the fall or spring semesters, you may have summer funding available.
Federal Direct Parent and Graduate PLUS Loans
- This is a federal credit-based loan for parents of undergraduate students or graduate students enrolled in an eligible degree program. Additional information can be found on our Loan Information Page.
- In order to be awarded financial aid prior to the cancellation of classes, you must have your summer class registration finalized and submit your summer school loan application by June 15, 2019.
- May 1st is the deadline to submit a Summer Parent PLUS/Graduate PLUS loan request to ensure processing prior to the May 16th payment due date.
- Students applying after May 1st are financially responsible for any charges on their student account.
- For undergraduate students enrolled in both five-week sessions but taking less than six credit hours during the first five week term, Direct Loan funds will not be disbursed to your account until the beginning of the second term.
- Students eligible for Pell grant award(s) will begin to receive funds May 23rd, provided that the student is enrolled at least half-time and still meeting all eligibility requirements. If less than half-time for the first summer session, then the Pell grant award(s) will be disbursed after July 9th.
Students who applied by May 1:
Your aid will be awarded by May 16.
Students who applied after May 1:
Your aid will not be available until after the payment due date shown on your eBill (May 16).
You are financially responsible for any charges on your student account.
In order to prevent your classes from being subject to cancellation, you must do one of the following:
Enroll in a UNC Charlotte payment plan that will pay tuition, fees, and charges in full.
Pay the difference between tuition, fees and charges and offered/accepted financial aid.
Pay your bill in full, including all tuition, fees, and charges.
- The summer loan application is not required to receive a Pell Grant during the summer.
- The summer loan application IS required if you are applying for the Federal Direct loans, Graduate PLUS Loans, and Parent PLUS Loans.
- For undergraduate students enrolled in both five-week sessions but taking less than six credit hours during the first five week term, Federal Direct and PLUS Loan funds will not disburse to your account until the beginning of the second term. You must be enrolled in at least six total credit hours for all summer sessions.
- If you change summer session terms of enrollment or reduce the total number of enrolled hours due to dropping or cancellation of classes, your award will be reduced accordingly or possibly canceled.
- You must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy requirement at the end of the spring semester. More information is available at the SAP Information page. If you are academically suspended, you are not eligible for summer financial aid.
- Financial aid will only pay for the 1st and 2nd attempt of the same course that has been successfully completed with a grade of D or better. Some courses are exempt from this rule because they are designated as being repeatable.
- The following students must contact Niner Central for a paper summer school application: graduate students enrolling for only thesis hours; students enrolled in study abroad, and students on transient study during the summer. Additional information may be required.
- Alternative non-federal loans may be available to students who do not qualify for federal student loans or those who need additional loan assistance beyond the federal loan maximums.
- The summer loan application is not required if you are only applying for an alternative loan for summer. The Office of Financial Aid will receive the information directly from the lender. Be sure to sign all disclosure notices with the lender.
- In order to receive a non-federal loan (alternative/private loan), the student must apply directly with the lender. You may choose any lender of your choice. For your convenience, we offer this handy FASTChoice alternative loan tool, which walks you through important information about types of funding and money management. After you review this information, you will see a list of lenders offering loan products in a way that makes it easy to compare them.
- You will receive an email when your award has been finalized. Please allow three weeks to process the alternative loan.