Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study aid is awarded as part of a program that enables students with financial need to work a part-time job in departments on campus, earning money that helps pay for education and living expenses while enrolled at UNC Charlotte.  

Earn Money. Gain Experience

  • The hourly rate earned will be at least minimum wage; however, you may earn more, depending on the type of work and skills required for the position. 
  • The exact amount of work-study earned depends upon the hours actually worked and the pay rate per hour. The rate of pay varies depending on the department and the student’s experience level.  
  • Students are awarded an average of $3,000 for the academic year.  Total federal work-study earnings for the academic year cannot exceed the annual award amount. 
  • Money is earned as you work throughout the semester, so you will not have the money “up front” in the beginning of the semester to pay your student account bill.  

Benefits of work-study employment 

  • Flexible job–one that fits around your class schedule – because your studies come first. 
  • Maximum of 20 hours per week (during regular class sessions). This maximum includes other student worker jobs on campus.
  • You may have the opportunity to work in a field related to your major, with a manager who may serve as a future job reference.

How to accept or decline your Federal Work-Study award 

  1. Log in to My UNC Charlotte.

  2. Under Quick Links, click the Banner Self Service icon.

  3. Click on the Financial Aid tab.

  4. Click on “My Financial Aid Award Information".

  5. Click on “Award By Aid Year."

  6. Select your aid year from the drop down box. (For Fall 2018 awards, the aid year will be 2018-19.) Click Submit.

  7. Click on the “Accept Award Offer” tab.

  8. Review your award and select “Accept” or “Decline” for each offer. Click “Submit Decision.”

  9. Review the information under the “Terms and Conditions” tab.


  • You must demonstrate financial need, which is based on the results of the FAFSA.

    • Once UNC Charlotte receives your FAFSA information, you will be notified if you are awarded Federal Work-Study aid. 

  • You must be enrolled at least-half time. 

  • Only students who are awarded and have accepted work-study can apply for work-study positions.  
  • To find a job, follow these steps on the Student Employment website.  
  • After you interview with a department, ask their hiring manager when and how they will contact you if you are selected.

  • Each department will have a different process and timeline for hiring students.

  • You will complete weekly time sheets to keep track of your hours worked, and you will be paid monthly.

  • Money earned is paid to the student, either by direct deposit, or by check.

  • Yes, but only after your first year.

  • You will have to have completed a FAFSA for the current academic year and the upcoming academic year, and show demonstrated need.

  • You must also complete the Summer Financial Aid Application which is available on April 15th prior to the upcoming summer.

  • Summer federal work-study funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, as long as funds are available.