Most grants are awarded to students demonstrating significant financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Grant funding does not have to be repaid.
Federal Grants, with the exception of TEACH grants, are awarded to students demonstrating significant financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Grant funding does not have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund). The availability of grant funding is limited.
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Work Study (FWS)
- Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
- TEACH is not a need-based grant and could require repayment if the recipient does not fulfill the service agreement
State grants are awarded to North Carolina residents based on funding availability and need. Recipients are determined by the state of North Carolina and must be seeking their first undergraduate degree. Restrictions regarding credit hours and semesters completed may apply.
- NC Education Lottery Scholarship (ELS)
- University of North Carolina Need-Based Grant
Students that apply for financial aid by January 1* are considered for institutional need-based awards provided funding is available.
- State Appropriated Grant (SAG)
- Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG)
*Must have all outstanding requirements complete