The Direct Loan Program has low interest loans that undergraduates, graduates and parents of dependent students may obtain from the Department of Education.
This program includes subsidized, unsubsidized, and parent/graduate PLUS Loans. These loan programs were created by Congress to help all eligible students and parents, with and without financial need, pay for educational expenses.
How to apply for Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
- Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Once you receive your award package, log in to My UNC Charlotte and accept your loan.
- Once you accept your loan, the Financial Aid Office will process the loan.
- Direct Loan processing will begin in mid-June.
- First time loan borrowers must sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and complete Entrance Counseling at StudentLoans.gov
First-time Direct Loan recipients must complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note at StudentLoans.gov.
How to complete Entrance Counseling
- Go to StudentLoans.gov
- Click the "Complete Entrance Counseling" link.
- Click "Log in to Start." (Note: You will need your FAFSA Student Aid ID to access the MPZN. If you do not have your federal ID, you can create a new FSA ID here.
- Follow the directions to complete your Entrance Counseling.
- Print your confirmation page and keep for your records. Your confirmation will be electronically submitted to our office by the federal government.
How to complete your Master Promissory Note
- Go to this MPN page on studentloans.gov.
- Under “Complete a Master Promissory Note” select “Log In”.
- (Note: You will need your federal student aid (FSA) ID and password to access the session. If you do not have your federal ID, you can create a new FSA ID here.
- Follow the instructions to complete, sign and submit your Direct Loan MPN.
- Our office will be notified within 2-3 business days after you sign your MPN.