The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Dept. of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s); for instance, it will include information on how interest is calculated and what deferment and cancellation provisions are available to you.
How to complete your Master Promissory Note
- Go to this MPN page on StudentAid.gov.
- Under “Complete a Master Promissory Note” select “Log In”.
- (Note: You will need your federal student aid (FSA) ID and password to access the MPN session. If you do not have your federal ID, you can create a new FSA ID here.
- Follow the instructions to complete, sign and submit your Direct Loan MPN.
- Our office will be notified within 2-3 business days after you sign your MPN.
When you graduate or withdraw and become less than a half-time student you will be required to complete exit counseling.